Sunday, September 15, 2013

Intro

          Hello everyone! This is my first blog post and I am excited to see how blogging goes for me. I have created this blog to discuss the topic of social media and how it is applied to the entertainment industry.  This can consist of video production, movies, music, television, advertising, etc.  I am a communication design major with an option in media arts at Chico State so the topic of media interests me on a personal and professional level.  
I have been an avid user of social media sites since I was about 13 years old.  I started with email and instant messaging and then made my Myspace page.  Once Facebook took over, I joined Facebook along with Insagram, Pinterest, Vine, Twitter and I am sure there will be more to come in my future.
          With my field of interest being something along the lines of media, I am looking forward to looking into different ways social media and the entertainment industry go hand in hand.  Just about everyone uses some form of social media today in age.  From young kids to adults to businesses, social media is being used.  We see what others are interested in or what they are doing with social networking sites.  Log onto Facebook and see that one of your friends just went and saw the latest movie and loved it.  This can spark interest for another person to go see this film that they may not have had interest in before.  We see advertisements of the latest films, music videos, television series, etc. on these social networking sites as well. This is the primary way of making money for most forms of media entertainment. Social media is a good way to determine what is worth seeking further interest and time into.  If other people are "tweeting" about how horrible a movie is that will attract others away from the film, and if people are posting about what Miley Cyrus did during the VMA's, people are gonna go looking for that video.  
          I know that with my major in media arts and my personal love of social media, my future will be working with it in some form whether it be within my profession or on my own time. I am looking forward to seeing where social media takes us in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Teresa
    This is definitely a great topic for someone in media arts. Social media provides outlets for new conversations, new tools for creating and distributing media, and many other possibilities. I look forward to reading what you post this semester.
    - Jon

    ReplyDelete